Thursday, November 12, 2015

Magnets, 'op' rhyme time, number 8

literacy:
played the hop, hop, stop game. Every kid got to take a turn choosing a card in the game. Kids would hop and say 'op' and the I would read the word and if it rhymed w op then they would do the activity. Cards said hop, drop, stop, mop, plop, chop ect. If word didn't rhyme they didn't do the action. We also played the red light green light game w hop and stop. I made the kids their own stop sign w hop on the green side and stop on the red side. Kids loved doing this.
Math:
I made cards w different color cute monsters on them w no eyes and laminated them. Gave each kid a handful of little wiggle eyes. I told them a story about a fuzzy monster who was looking for his eyes and everytime he found a monster eye they put one on their monster. They thought it was the greatest thing to put wiggle eyes on monsters. We got the eyes all the way to 8 and they could visualize how many 8 was compared to 2 or whatever number then practiced putting dif amounts of eyes on and counting them.
Topic:
first I gave every kid a big magnet and we talked about what makes something a magnet and why it's magnetic and how magnets are used in he world. Then I had kids explore a large sensory bin full of tons of things that are and aren't magnetic in rice. I showed them things and they hypothesized if it would be magnetic then we passed it around to see if it was. They spent forever w the magnetic sensory bin. I taught them about charges in magnets and each kid got to put negatives and positives together to watch if it attracted or repelled. Made little Popsicle sticks w a magnet glued on the end to take home and have kids explore magnetic stuff at their house. I wish I would have used stronger magnets on the homemade wands to take home.
Choosing time:
Kids played w magnets and sensory bin for almost all of choosing time also. I set up our grocery store and they pretended to buy the magnets and then played w them. Then went back to grocery store to buy more and test what was or wasn't magnetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment