Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What the First Few Weeks Taught Me

I've been meaning to share what I thought went well and what I would have changed when I taught, and finally I'm getting to it, in totally random order . . .

First of all, although I am a perfectionist and had a billion things I wish I did better, really I thought it went great. The kids had fun, and it went by really fast for me. I think the schedule works out well, although the literacy portion was faster than 15 minutes all four times. That's what I was hoping for, since I wanted more time at the end for science/social studies and choosing time, but I was trying to put a realistic time in there in case a more complicated activity is chosen. Like I said before, the essential thing is not the exact timing (faster or slower is totally normal), but that the schedule be followed in order so the kids know what to expect will happen next. Hopping from house to house and teacher to teacher can lead to chaotic behavior, but if we keep a few constants (schedule and green circles to sit on), it will feel better for the kids and for us.

*Babies - I thought Noah would just wander around like he usually does, but he really wanted to be in the thick of things. It contributed to things being a little more chaotic, and the preschoolers losing attention while I dealt with Noah. So, having your toddler there won't ruin things, but you will probably feel more in control and like things are going smoothly if you trade toddlers around for teaching time. Go ahead and experiment with what works for you, just thought I'd warn you.

* Go slowly, set expectations -There is a huge temptation to rush through things to stay on schedule or to get something over with if it's not going well, but it just makes it worse. Even knowing this, that's what I did the second day. As you start each new thing remind the kids of how they are expected to behave during the activity, then reinforce the expectations. Example: The kids were nutty during the story the second day so on the third day we briefly talked about how to be a good story listener . . . and it was tons better!

* Plan transitions - We have one song on the schedule, but it is so much easier to move from activity to activity if you transition with a song, finger play, etc. I thought that I could just move from thing to thing since it's all fun, but nope, the transitions saved my life. So, it's easier if you plan beforehand a little arsenal of things to do for transitions, and if you need ideas, I'm more than happy to help out.

Oh, and also plan for "fast finishers." If you are doing an activity where everyone is completing something at the same time, make a plan for when kids start saying they're done. Example: When you're done, stay in your seat and decorate your project, draw on the back, make another one, whatever. If you don't have a plan they'll start messing with whatever they see in your house and going in all directions.

- Keep it simple - So, kindergartners are little, but 3 year olds are really little. I have had to move my brain back, and while everyone might not be thinking that way, things have to be kept even more simple than activities one-on-one with your own child. Activities aren't as easy to conduct with 8 as with 1. So, think of how to make it as simple as possible, and have some ideas in mind to make things more challenging or interesting if needed. (Yep, I learned this the hard way. Okay, learned all of them the hard way.)

* Let them explore first - Like we talked about in one of our meetings, kids need a chance to explore with things before they can use them to do an activity or project. So, if you're going to use something in math they might find to be extra-cool, it might help to let them play with it during gathering time first. Also, these kids need a chance to explore with all of the things they'll be using throughout the year. I let them explore with the magnifying glasses and clipboards one day, and the white boards another. I think they need a chance during choosing time to use scissors to make whatever they want before they're expected to make an actual project with them. I know that Josh doesn't really know how to use them well because his mom doesn't really let him . . . so yep, they just need a chance to explore all kinds of things, especially things they'll be expected to use in the future.

* Keep variety - Don't make them stay in the same area for several activities in a row. Move around to different locations for different things because it makes the kids feel that they're doing something new and keeps their attention better. I made the mistake of trying to do circle time, literacy, and math all in the same area without moving, and the kids had a lot harder time paying attention that day.

* Gathering places - Something that worked well for me was making different colored signs and taping them around the room. When it was J week I put J's on the signs, and when it was "ap" week I put "ap" on the signs. Then when we needed to split up in groups I told the kids to stand under the "yellow J" or the "green J." I also told them that if they wanted to go outside to wait by the "orange J." It was so much easier once I did that than the first day when I hadn't done it yet, and it also reinforced the concept of what a J looks like. Both weeks I made them touch the sign and say what was on it before they could play outside. So, it turned out to help things flow and also gave them one more dose of literacy.

- Choosing time - The kids really loved choosing time, and I usually had a hard time getting them to want to stop. So, if you go quickly through the rest of the schedule or the weather isn't good enough for more than a jog to the corner and back, feel free to give them extra choosing time at the end. I don't think they'll mind at all.

I hope this doesn't seem like too much, I'm just passing on thoughts to give everyone the best chance of enjoying themselves and not going crazy. I'd LOVE to see thoughts from others posted as they get their turn as teacher. I also have some other topics I'll be posting on soon.

One last thing . . . I saw Chase one night and he said to me, "That was really fun today. Can we do that again?" He seemed excited about preschool, and it made me feel like no matter what I didn't do, it doesn't matter. The kids are having fun, hooray!

P.S. I'm reading this in 2016 and thinking wow, I'm more relaxed now for sure. Toddlers in the way? Whatever, this isn't for money, you know? :)

1 comment:

  1. You are AWESOME, Emily. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas and just make this better - for us and the kids.

    ReplyDelete