http://www.preschoolexpress.com/alphabet_station05/q_activities.shtml
This has a lot of q ideas.
Random information about our letter Q day.
Science: We did some stuff with Quinoa and Quilt Square that went over well.
I sprouted the quinoa (it is a grain) and then we used magnifying glasses to compare the sprouted quinoa vs. the dry quinoa. We might try to use the sewing machine and make some mini quilts. I would like to talk about the sewing machine, and how it works. I know this doesn't go along with chicks, but it goes along with Q.
Literacy-We also glued quinoa to a Q shape on a "Queen" crown. Then we glued quilting "Squares"--(mostly I just let the kids practice cutting the material in whatever shape they wanted and then glue it on in a creative pattern). We also played button button who has the button with a quarter. We did a race to see who was quick. I played the piano loudly and then when I played quietly they were supposed to race and tag me quickly. WE also made Q's into people and talked about how the big q looks like a man with his tongue sticking out, while the little q looks like it has a tail. We are going to play with shaving cream and practice drawing Q in it on our paper plates.
Opening activities: We read "Queen of Christmas". We sang the "5 little ducks when out to play"- and emphasized the "quacking" part of the song. We can also read "quick as a cricket".
Math: I also liked the idea of using 4 quarters to talk about how they add up to a dollar, for math, and talking about other money- mostly just an introduction to coins etc. We are going to make quilt squares and talk about the shapes and fitting them together like a puzzle quilt.
No comments:
Post a Comment