It was requested at our meeting that we put math topics on our schedule. Good idea. For the first little while, we will be working on the numbers 0-10. I will put some books in the tote that have some ideas, but there is a lot you can do with each number. You can learn to count that many objects, subitize that many objects (where kids can recognize there are __ number of things without counting, very useful with numbers 0-5), write the number, talk about things that come in groups of that number, and talk about different numbers that make up that number (4 can be 3 and 1, 2 and 2, 1 and 3, 4 and 0 . . . ). If the kids got ALL that for each number they'd be way ahead!
After that, I put different topics such as sorting, patterns, measurement, etc. I have some books to go along with each of those, but your brain and the internet are equally as valid. So the question comes up, how do we not repeat eachother's efforts? Shouldn't be hard when talking about individual numbers, but harder with other topics. I will put some blank paper in the folder in the tote where where can write a math log, so others know what we've done. I'm not talking some journal entry here, I'm talking 10 seconds of writing. Something like, "p. 20 in book, Grab and Count, kids would love to do again," or, "Measured furniture with our feet." That's it, just so others know what has been done.
So, the point is to make things easy, so you don't have to come up with a math idea out of the clear blue sky, and the kids will be building on their learning. Let me know if you have questions or need help. I have a lot of the supplies to go along with the books, and if you like an idea but think it seems a little too hard for preschool, I can help you make it simpler.
No comments:
Post a Comment