Song: There's a Dog in School
I'm So Big
Story: Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog? By Dr. Seuss (Their reasoning with these questions was adorable.)
Literacy: Alphabet Soup (We will talk about which letters we are putting in our soup.) This was a hit with many of the kids. I went around asking the kids their recipe, and they'd tell me what letters were in their soup. Some of the kids knew all the letters, so I asked them if the letters in their soup made any words. Some of the kids thought it was hilarious to put random letters in their soup, then have me pronounce it.
Math: Number bags - Invitation to play like this one, but add in ziploc bags with numbers written on them. So, we just went with ziploc bags with numbers 0-15 on them, then I had them go in the back yard and collect that many things. Before doing so, we reviewed the numbers on each bag. When each child thought they were done, they came to me to show me. I told them, "Count the things for me." When they did so, we talked about if they had collected too many or too few, and they had to figure out how to get the right number. It also helped me to observe their counting strategies.
Science: I was looking for bubble ideas, and these were the things I wanted to attempt:
Blow bubbles on clipboard, wall. See what you have to do for them to land how you would like.
Bubbles on the table, here
add food coloring to bubbles for art
experiment with catching bubbles with wet and dry hands- see the difference
bubble wands with pipe cleaners. See if it works. - do predict and check with shapes
Hula hoop in a pool. See if it works.
putting things inside of bubbles - like a bubble solution coated pencil
kitchen utensils as bubble wands
Of course we had to choose, so we did bubbles on the table. It took some practice, but they figured it out and got into it. I blew big bubbles, and experimented with how we could poke our fingers and straws into them without them popping.
Choosing time:
Bubble art - Tips: If you want to blow cool bubbles on the paper, use a little bit thicker of a solution. If you bubble up in the bowl and then place the paper on top, you can have a thinner bubble solution, but you will want darker colors, like what you find in paint. Food coloring makes it lighter, liquid water color was way too light!
Other options: Revisit alphabet soup, revisit collections in numbered bags (added magnifying glasses for science component), continue bubble table play, blocks
No comments:
Post a Comment