Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Doctor/nurse, O, Measurement (weight)

Letter O: on/off game from SEEL. Have 2 signs and teach the kids to read the words "on " and "off." Basically play red light/green light or dance/freeze using the signs "on" and "off." The kids loved taking turns being the on/off officer.

Math: I was supposed to do patterns but could not resist the temptation--since we are studying doctors, we did weight. We weighed each of the kids on my bathroom scale and then played guessing games to see how much other things weighed. The kids were shocked when they discovered that grownups can weigh more than a hundred pounds. The kids each got a paper where they wrote their name, their weight, and drew a picture of their body. I wonder if Michelle may wish to do height on Thursday.

Snack: Well, I couldn't really do anything unhealthy on "doctors" week so we had fruit smoothies.

Science: Build "doctor kits." The boxes are old strawberry containers. I had the kids decorate a small label for the top during gathering time, then taped the labels on during free time. So first I had the kids find their boxes. Then I gave each kid a triangle bandage (cheap walmart fabric) and showed them how to tie it into a sling for a broken arm. I showed them an x-ray of a baby so they could see what bones look like and what happens when you break a bone. Each kid also got an empty medicine bottle (they gave these to me at the pharmacy, no charge). We talked about medicine, how important it is to take the medicine just like the doctor says, not to miss any and not to take extra. Also, that only parents and doctors can give them medicine, not strangers, and medicine needs to be kept up high so babies won't try to take it. Finished off the kits with a few band-aids and alcohol wipes, which were buried in a bowl of beans so it made a fun little sensory activity.

Choosing time:

Doctor Dress-up: A parent provided the cutest little preschool size scrubs, and a few accesssories. I provided a couple of stuffed animals since none of the kids wanted to be the patient.

Fine motor skills: I pulled out the game Operation: I couldn't resist, it started with "O" and dealt with doctors. I told the kids the goal was just to get the pieces out and that was challenge enough. They could have "bonus points" for getting the pieces out without touching the sides.

Some ideas for future reference: Another direction we could take with "doctors" would be to have activities about healthy habits such as getting enough sleep, eating your fruits and veggies, washing your hands, playing safely, being active, etc. A vision chart is also a fun tool. If anyone has a stethoscope, kids always love listening to their own heartbeat or breathing. Kids also think the knee-jerk reflex is funny so it's fun to have them discover that.

No comments:

Post a Comment