Monday, December 17, 2012

Fairy Tales, Puppets, K, and 10


(9:30) Gathering Activity: Finger Puppets (they have some really cute ones for cheap at IKEA)
(9:40) Welcome Time:
·         Song: 10 Little Indians
·         Book: "Pigs Make Me Sneeze" by Mo Willems (The kids love his Elephant and Piggie Books)
(9:50) Literacy Activity: K Flannel Board Story. This was a lot of prep work but boy did it pay off. The kids absolutely loved it! I wrote a story (which I'll include at the end of the post for anyone interested) that used lots of K words. Then I made a bunch of pictures for my flannel board (this is pretty easy to do. Just print off a picture, glue it to some felt or fleece, and cut it out). As I told the story we would get to one of the K words in all caps and it was their turn to help. I would lay out three pictures: 1 started with a K and the other 2 didn't. They needed to find the K word to continue the story. So for example, when the Princess was playing with her pet I laid out a picture of a kitten, a dog, and a bird. They needed to figure out which one started with K to use in the story. I let the kids take turns figuring it out. I only laid out the pictures for the first time that word came up, after that they just got used on the flannel board. I had their complete attention for the entire story.

(10:05) Math: I found another cute craft for the kids. This time they each got their own copy to do. Here's the website where you can find it http://www.first-school.ws/t/ap/winter-tree-snowflakes.htm   I cut out the number snowflakes in advance to save time and put them in little baggies. First we counted the spots on the tree. Then I had the kids glue each snowflake in the right spot by matching the numbers. Most of them could do that with very little help. When they finished I had them wash their hands and dance to music until everyone was done.

(10:20) Break/Snack:  Kiwi, pretzels, and juice (Most of the kids were willing to try the kiwi)

(10:40) Science/Social Studies: Practice Puppet Play.  I laid out all the puppets that I had on the floor and then drew the kids names from a hat. When their name was drawn then they could pick which puppet they wanted to use. Most of the kids were okay with that (the only exception being my own kid who threw a tantrum cause the one he wanted was gone.) Then I had all the kids sit on the couch as we practiced a very simple puppet play. I used my puppet to ask each of the other puppets what they liked to eat. The kids could give any response that they wanted. Sometimes the answers were silly, sometimes serious. My puppet would then respond to whatever they said. This was a very simple play that didn't require any script and the kids seemed to enjoy it. We did it a few times and the answers got sillier each time.

(11:05) Choosing Time:  - Finger Puppets and Stage  -Flannel Board   -Blocks   -Play Food
(11:25) Clean Up:

Here is the story that I used for our K Flannel Board:
Once upon a time there was a small KINGDOM that was ruled over by good King Keith.  He had no wife or children but had fallen in love with a beautiful Princess from another kingdom by the name of Princess Kylee.  One day while Princess Kylee was out playing with her pet KITTEN a mysterious stranger approached. This stranger offered fair Princess Kylee a delicious looking KIWI to eat.  The Princess gladly took a bite from the Kiwi. Unfortunately she was tricked and fell into a deep sleep. The mysterious stranger then transformed into his true form, a terrible KOMODO DRAGON! All of this was seen by a kind KOALA who rushed to King Keith and told him what had happened.
King Keith quickly mounted his trusted KANGAROO and ventured forth to save Princess Kylee.  On the way he came to a large, rushing river that blocked his path! Looking around he saw a KAYAK that he was able to climb into to cross the river.  Soon he came to a tower that reached all the way into the clouds. He knew that his beloved Princess was in a room at the very top of the tower.  The only way up was to fly on a KITE! Being very brave, KING Keith flew on the Kite all the way to the top of the tower.
Upon reaching the top of the tower poor King Keith was greeted by a terrible sight. Standing between him and the princess’s door was the evil KOMODO DRAGON! In the KOMODO DRAGON’S hand was the KEY to unlock the door.  Brave King Keith quickly snatched the KEY from the KOMODO DRAGON and kicked him off the tower.
            King Keith used the KEY to open the door and found fair Princess Kylee asleep inside. She would not wake up! Remembering all he knew about magic KING Keith gave the princess a KISS. Sure enough the KISS was just the thing and woke Princess Kylee up. Having rescued her they then returned home upon KING Keith’s KANGAROO where they were married and lived happily ever after. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment