Gathering time: Play with finger puppets from the resource box.
Story: the ant and the grasshopper
Literacy: Using an idea from Emily last year, we put hair gel in plastic bags and taped them shut. For her lesson, Emily colored hers red and made it look like a watermelon. For my lesson, I colored mine yellow and wrote the letter Yy with a sharpie. The kids played with their bags while we had a conversation about yucky yellow Y. We extended the conversation by thinking of lots of other /y/ words like yummy, yesterday, yay, yarn, and various made up words as well. The kids loved it so much I told them we were saving them for preschool at Lydia's house on Thursday.
Math: Number 4--we read Pete the Cat and his 4 Groovy Buttons, then I gave each kid 4 plastic bugs and some magnifying glasses to play with.
Science: I showed the kids a spider I had made from construction paper pieces. We talked about how many legs it had, about how spiders spin webs, Each kid got to play with a Halloween decoration spider. Then we put our chairs in a circle and had each kid sit on one chair. I then took a ball of string and tied it to the leg of one chair. That kid told me whose chair to go to next. I wrapped the string around a leg of that kid's chair, and asked her where I should go next. We continued this game until we had a spider web in the middle of our chairs. The kids enjoyed trying to walk through the spider web, putting toy spiders and bugs on the web, etc. When science time was over, we took down the web so no one would trip as we did our other activities.
Choosing time:
explore bugs: make your own with paper legs, bodies, wings and heads, with glue sticks.
Fine motor skills: tweezers, plastic bugs, and various cups to put the bugs into our out of.
Imaginative play: finger puppets
No comments:
Post a Comment