This only applies to the large group.
We discussed sharing ideas for using helpers, so I'm starting it off. Feel free to add to this post, and when you do, use a different font color so we'll all know something new has been added.
First of all, some people have thought that sometimes it might be easier for the helper to just take your extra kids to their house, so that you can teach alone with just 7 preschoolers and no others. That option is fine with me if people want to do it sometimes (objections by anyone else? Let us know), but I think the main key is that the teacher gets to decide if they want the helper or the baby-sitting, and that help is provided.
Let's brainstorm ways the helper has been helpful in the past. Here are some of mine:
*Setting up the next activity while I work with the children.
*Cleaning up the last activity while I do work with the children (transition songs, etc.)
*Teaching math in two smaller groups to give more one-on-one attention to each child.
*Watching the children play while I prepare the snack.
*Shuffling children out the door while I read stories.
*One more set of hands to help with "extra help" projects
*Monitoring/facilitating a few of the centers during choosing time while I facilitate others.
*Helping me to occupy my toddler.
*Helping children who are acting out to focus.
No comments:
Post a Comment