Monday, December 17, 2012

Fairy Tales, K, and the Number 10


(9:30) Gathering Activity: Books 

(9:40) Welcome Time:
·         Song: Once There Was a Snowman
·         Book: The True Story of the Three Little Pigs

(9:50) Literacy Activity: Practice Writing K's, Decorate a Kite (I had King Keith's Kite printed off to do but we ran out of time so I sent a copy home with each kid that they could do with their parents.)

(10:05) Math: I found a cute ice cream cone craft that we used to count to ten. Here's the web address http://www.first-school.ws/activities/crafts/colors/icecreamcone2.htm  We put up the scoops one at a time on the wall and would count how many scoops we had now. I forgot how loud kids can be when they are excited! They loved it. After getting all the scoops on we practiced drawing the number 10 in the air with our finger.

 (10:20) Break/Snack: Tangerines, ice cream sandwiches, and Juice. While I was getting the snack together I turned on music on our keyboard for the kids to dance to.

(10:40) Science/Social Studies: Fairy Tale: Jack, Jill and the Beanstalk Drama: We acted out Jack and the Beanstalk complete with costumes (largely stolen from my Halloween costumes and the kitchen). Since we have a fairly large group I made it Jack, Jill and the Beanstalk to give us another character. 
After acting out our play we then started sprouting beans in baggies with wet paper towels. This gave us an opportunity to talk about how plants grow which was kinda fun. I had started soaking some the night before so we could compare them to the wet ones. Unfortunately, most of the 3 and 4 year old kids needed LOTS of help with this so I ended up doing pretty much everything. Maybe another time I would just do a demonstration of sprouting beans and have some already sprouted. They are currently hanging in my window and starting to sprout wonderfully. I used three different beans: pinto, white, and chickpeas. The chickpeas seem to be doing the best so far.

(11:05) Choosing Time:  - Finger Puppets      - Instruments     -Blocks

(11:25) Clean Up:

No comments:

Post a Comment