Thursday, January 9, 2014

I, Ice, Patterns

Gathering: puzzles

Song: "Once there was a snowman"

Book: "There was a cold lady"

Literacy: Icabod the Icicle lived in an Igloo-don't hold him to long or he'
ll melt melt melt!(play hot potato with ice cube and do this little chant while passing it, whoever the chant ends on, is out)

Math: Patterns  Have the kids place items (puff balls googly eyes pipe cleaners) into a pattern on their paper. Explore the many different ways they can create the patterns. Then have them glue pieces of paper into a pattern on their paper. Then with the extra space on their paper have them do an I i I i pattern to practice their I's

Snack/Break: Hot Cocoa and Marshmallows (show how the ice melts in the hot water)

Science: Grab a few different sizes of ice, icicles from outside, snow balls, etc. First predict which will melt the fastest, and then try them out. Try stirring, and different things to see what makes it melt faster etc. Talk about Ice floating

Choosing Time:

1. Sensory- Let the kids play with ice cubes in a big tub of water
2. Art - create an igloo with playdough
3. Build an Igloo with the "build a tent" sticks

No comments:

Post a Comment