Zoob Jr. (connecting/building toys)
Duplo blocks
9:40 Circle Time
-song –The Wheels on the Bus
-home/school poster
-Read Aloud – what makes a rainbow?
9:50 Literacy Activity – rhyming OB
SEEL “Bob’s job” to the tune of “I saw a bear”
My name is Bob (children repeat)
I have a job (children repeat)
To turn this knob (children repeat)
And make some glob (children repeat)
(All together) My name is Bob, I have a job, to turn this knob, and make some glob.
10:05 Math – Shapes
Give each child a shape paper (in order)
Have them place a shape in the outline
Count how many shapes on each paper
Now add or take away shapes and talk about the number left.
(you could also have the children group shapes to equal the same number, ie: 2 and 4 make six, and 3 and 3 make six, and 1 and 5 make six.
Have the children wash their hands. Then pour pudding and milk in a bowl and mix it together. Tell the kids we are making mud. Put the “mud” in the fridge and give each child a baggy of 3 Oreo’s® and have them smash the cookies (tell them the cookies are rocks and we’re smashing the rocks into tiny rocks to add to our mud. Add foam (cool whip) to the “mud” and pour the “rocks” on top of the “mud” then add gummy worms.
Dig in!
10:40 Science/Social Studies –
Follow up on the Great Salt Lake field trip – Let the kids taste water, then salt water. They look the same but they taste different. Why? Explain that there is salt in the salt water and you can’t see it because it dissolved. Pour salt in a clear water bottle. Add water. Get out the microscope and let the kids look at the salt at the bottom of the bottle. Then put on the lid and let the kids take turns shaking it. Ask where the salt went? Talk about how the Great Salt Lake is filled with salt, but you can’t see it unless the water evaporates leaving the salt behind. (this might be a good thing to revisit in another lesson about the water cycle).
11:05 Choosing Time
1. Dinosaurs (BC Builders)
2. Blocks
3. Shapes
4. Dinosaur puzzles
11:25 Clean up, Gather to sing and read until picked up
Wow, with a picture and everything! I really like the salt activity, I will stick it in my brain. I'm really happy about how the field trip was #1 - so fun and #2 - a great way to cumulate our rocks/dirt month.
ReplyDeleteNote to self: (If I ever find this note) Julie mentioned a gem show that comes through Tooele every September that would work with the rock unit, as well.
It was easier to explain with the picture. The kids really liked the math activity and the salt activity. I wish I had kept some salt from the Great Salt Lake to show the kids what it looks like when the water evaporates. Next time.
ReplyDelete