I will publish my lesson plans of exactly how my day will go later, but I thought, in the interest of sharing resources, here are some ideas I thought of and also found all over the web. I brainstormed it elsewhere, so now I'll just copy and paste. Hopefully it makes sense, it's in no particular order, just as it came to me or I found it.
Barney’s Firefighter Song (Hurry, hurry, drive the firetruck . . .)
Firefighters – sung to Pop Goes the Weasel
Down the street the engine goes
The firemen fight the fire
Up the ladder with their hose
Out goes the fire
I’m a Firefighter – sung to “I’m a Little Teapot”
I’m a firefighter (point to self)
Here’s my hose (Outstretch arm with finger pointed.)
I put out fires
As everyone knows
When I see a fire (Hand over brow)
I douse it out. (Outstretch arm with finger pointed)
“Thank you! Thank you!”
People shout!
Use red, orange, and yellow paint to make firey painting.
Paint with charcoal
Use shaving cream to paint stuff coming out of a fire extinguisher (already drawn, printed, or glued on with construction paper)
F firefighter page:
http://www.first-school.ws/t/alpha3_firefighterbw.htm
Put the Flames Out
Get red and yellow sidewalk chalk. Draw flames on a sidewalk and let you children put them out with water bottles.
Escape Route
Have your children draw the route they would take to get out of their house if it caught fire. Challenge them to come up with several different routes.
Crawl Low Under The Fire
Put up a sheet high enough so that your children can crawl under it. Next have your children pretend to be fire fighters and crawl underneath the fire.
911 Call
Get several old phones (or draw one on paper) and have your children practice dialing 911 in an emergency.
(Then get the kids dancing to Fire Burning . . . that's how my kids learned 911 ;) )
Stop, Drop, Roll
Get Your children to pretend they are on fire and practice stopping, dropping, and rolling
Obstacle course in the case of a fire – touching doorknobs, crawling under smoke, avoiding fire, maybe stop, drop, and roll
Firefighter trying to get dressed to go . . . use book to say what firefighter will wear and why
Build a firetruck using cues from the books – would love to have a huge box . . . call Sears?
Sesame street coloring;
http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/fa-176.pdf
Smoke Detectors
Materials: 2 small paper plates per child glue, battery cutouts 1 per child, black circle the size of a milk cap, red dot stickers
Directions: After talking about smoke detectors and the fact that they have a battery, which needs to be changed every year and a sniffer, which has the job to smell the smoke, have the kids make their own detectors. Glue 1 battery and 1 sniffer to the inside of 1 plate, staple the other on top, just use 2 staples so they can still open it up . add the red test button and before you know it, you'll hear fire drills being practiced through out your room. This also makes for a great conversation piece between parents and children.
Fire Station Math – red rectangles on a large paper, draw doors and write Fire Station number ___ on each rectangle. Site says use lima beans (painted white with black spots) as dalmations to put the number of dalmations indicated on each station. I may print out little pictures of firemen instead.
OR, there is a fire engine counting game here: http://momto2boys24.blogspot.com/2010/10/unit-study-fire.html
Shape fire engine – provide rectangles, circles, triangles, have kids make fire engines
Fire truck cookies out of graham crackers: http://learningdevelopmentactivities.blogspot.com/2010/10/fire-truck-cookies.html Could we possibly incorporate this into math?
Put shape firetrucks on top of flame – art . . . hmmm, how to work with centers?
Whenever kids have questions we can't answer in our books, write them down to ask at the fire station!!
No comments:
Post a Comment