Thursday, September 8, 2011

Using the Name Mat

Just in case I didn't tell everyone why I sent home a name mat, here are some ideas.

It is designed (so luxuriously) to be used and wiped off over and over. To do that you can use paint (we did paint with soap mixed in), washable markers, dry erase markers, shaving cream, mud . . . whatever! The point is to get the kids to know the letters in their names and the motions it takes to form the letters. Yes, they are much bigger than they will learn to write, but it's the motion we are after. Sensory activities help to form connections in the brain, so be creative about what you use. Maybe add some cornmeal to paint. Or cornmeal in dishsoap. The smooth and rough experiences will help the kids to get it.

I almost  put those mats in the tote, but I thought they might get more use at home than at preschool, since we have limited one on one moments at preschool. The stars are on the letters to help the kids to know where to start when forming the letter. I was asked if it was a place mat, and actually, why not? If your child eats their food on top of their name, they will get very used to what it looks like. They say each child should have their name displayed at least 6 times in a classroom to get the exposure they need, and since we don't have a real classroom, why not at home?

You probably already know this, but it's worth a mention that although it wipes off pretty easily, any moisture that gets under the seal will start to make it yucky. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment